Sunday, August 29, 2010

Maquette project- entry 7




Hey friends! Interesting twist this week- since I had to go ahead and bake our little nino here. I had finalized the hair, his ears and the curve of his lips around his smile. I got all that stuff the way I liked it and started working on his sleeves and jacket.



The trouble was I came to that point I sometimes hit where you can't grab the sculpt or hold it so you can work on some other art of it without scrunching up something else! Well, I kept doing that-...! So I decided to detail everything up to a point and bake him. Then I wouldn't have to worry about messing up the hair and having to constantly fix it if I held it the wrong way. If you are careful, you can bake sculpey a number of times, putting new sculpey over or along with the baked stuff.... if you are careful!




As you can see the hair has less mass which made his head look smaller and fit his body alot better. I had to fudge the design of the hair in back because Erick's drawing only showed one side. I kept it simple and within the style of the drawing.



I sharpened up the sleeves and cuffs on his shirt and jacket, keeping in mind that the flow of the curves should look nice from every angle.



The hands and fingers have been folded over and shaped to hold the tiny sign. I purposefully left a rut into the clay to hold the sign so it would kinda slide into place. The groove didn't show with the sign in place.



So far - so good. The baking worked great and he didn't crack or split or anything. The plan now is to finalize everything else, like his other foot and possibly some more planes of hair in the back. His sneakers have laces on top of them... those should be interesting.


VIDEO ENTRY #7

video
See you back here in 2 weeks. Thanks y'all!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Maquette project- entry 6


Hey y'all! This week you'll see that the little guy's features are more defined and more on model. I decided to start over with the hair because it had too much mass and made the head look too big.




I also reshaped the eyes a bit. I didn't feel they matched Erick's drawing good enough and simply reshaped them a bit after I re-sized the planes of hair on his head.



He also has hands now. Since the armature is connected to the doll I baked, I can swing the arms in and out of position to sculpt the hands better. I cut a little piece of paperboard to act as a stand in for the sign to check scale and position and stuff.



His clothes are slowly coming together also. I'm sort of working my way down the thing with the details, since I have to pick it up alot and if I detail something and then grab it to detail something else- it gets smooshed.



I didn't put any wires in his fingers because I didn't think they were needed. He only has to hold a small sign and I didn't think his hands and fingers needed any extra support. If they were long and lean instead of short and stubby, I would've put some wire in the fingers.





His stance and anatomy make him want to fall forward so I placed a brace of sculpey under his tummy so I can work on him without holding the sculpt to detail it. One of the feet are roughed in, while the other is simply a mass of sculpey keeping him upright.




I started wrapping the sculpt in plastic wrap after a sculpting session. I found that it keeps the sculpey cleaner and helps so it doesn't dry out as fast if I don't get to work on it as often as I'd like.






VIDEO ENTRY #6

video
See you in a couple weeks. Summer's almost over already. Make sure to have some fun!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Maquette project- entry 5


Well hello there and Happy August! (ManIcan'tbelieveit'sAugustalreadythisyearisgoingfastformehowaboutyouguys?)




As y'all can see our little friend has some new editions! I roughed in some hands and finished the arms, keeping them about the right thicknesses, knowing I can trim stuff up later. I defined the eyes a bit better and started working in a nose, along with getting the shape and size of his teeth and smile a bit more on model.






I knew the hair would give me some trouble since I've haven't sculpted alot of stuff with hair so far. I'm simply gonna keep roughing in the shapes and planes and tightening them up until they match Erick's drawing from that angle. I'll have to figure out how the various spikes of hair will fit on his head as I go along, again always matching the drawing.




The legs are also roughed in. I won't worry about the feet until I've finalized most of the structures above them. Then I can cut away all that excess sculpey I'm using as a base at this point.


VIDEO ENTRY #5


video



See ya in a couple weeks friends!